The State Department said today that talks with North Korea continue and said “continue to trust” that the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, will fulfill his commitment to denuclearization.
“I would say that communications are ongoing, yes, and as regards the state of what is happening now, I would say that our goal remains the same: definitive, total and verified denuclearization,” he explained at a press conference. State Department spokesman, Robert Palladino.
Palladino added that the country “continues to trust” that the commitments made by Kim at the summit in Singapore with President Donald Trump will be fulfilled.
Last week, Trump said that “there is no rush” in the negotiations with North Korea, which aroused speculation about the state of dialogue.
At their first summit in June in Singapore, Trump and Kim signed a declaration that opens the doors to the denuclearization of North Korea in exchange for Washington granting guarantees for its survival, although no specific deadlines were specified for those objectives.
Trump has said he plans to hold a new meeting with Kim “early next year”, although in the visit last October by Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, to Pyongyang to prepare that meeting there were no signs of having occurred Big steps.
The special envoy for North Korea, Stephen Biegun, will be visiting Seoul from January 19 to 21, the State Department announced today.
Biegun will meet with South Korean officials, including South Korea’s Special Representative for Peace and Security Affairs, Lee Do-hoon; but at the moment it does not have foreseen to maintain any encounter with members of the North Korean Executive.