The United States Government has rejected this Wednesday the information that has been published in the last hours in which there was talk of the possible involvement of the Drug Control Administration (DEA, for its acronym in English) in the assassination of the president of Haiti, Jovenel Moise.
“These reports are absolutely false, they are nothing more than that, false accusations. The United States condemns this atrocious act,” said State Department spokesman Ned Price, who in turn has asked the Haitian authorities to bring before the justice to those responsible for this assassination.
Washington’s denial comes after some media, including the ‘Miami Herald’, have published that the assailants identified themselves as DEA agents, as can be heard in some videos recorded by witnesses, this newspaper says.
The Haitian authorities have attributed the attack to “a group of unidentified individuals” about whom nothing is known, other than that they spoke Spanish and English. At around 5:00 am (local time), the Government reported that about four hours earlier, 53-year-old Moise had been “mortally wounded” in an assault on his private residence in the metropolitan region of Port-au-Prince. The first lady was taken to a hospital with gunshot wounds and in serious condition.
The fragile political balance that has dragged Haiti for years has ended up blowing up with the assassination of Moise. The interim prime minister, Claude Joseph, has assumed the reins with a coup on the table in the form of a state of siege and inviting all parties to unite for the sake of the “continuity” of the little institutionality that the country has left.