A former US ambassador points out the “absolute” responsibility of Trump in the assault on the Capitol

Former US Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa Scott Brown has asserted that former President Donald Trump bears “absolute” responsibility in the January 6 assault on the Capitol, carried out by his supporters, while ensuring that his mandate has been “diminished” as a result of the incident.

“Absolutely, I want to say that he has responsibility,” said the former senator from Massachusetts. “I think his Presidency has been diminished as a result (of the assault),” he added in an interview with the CNN television network, before underlining that, in his opinion, Trump “is paying the price.” .

Brown, who has reiterated that some of Trump’s “achievements” in foreign policy and his response to the COVID-19 pandemic “have fallen by the wayside” after the assault, has moved his support to the creation of an independent commission to be in charge of investigating what happened on January 6.

“Having such a commission to find out who was responsible, what went wrong, to make sure it never happens again should be a no-brainer,” he has argued, comparing the commission with the one formed after 9/11. “We were attacked by foreign terrorists and we wanted to find out immediately … what happened and why. Well, this is no different,” he insisted.

The House of Representatives approved last week the formation of a bipartisan commission to investigate what happened on January 6. However, the rule is expected to fail in the Senate vote, despite the fact that some Republican members of the Upper House have moved their intention to vote alongside Democrats and support the investigation.

Some of the Republicans who oppose the project spoke Sunday through the mouth of Missouri Senator Roy Blunt, who argued on Fox News that, in his opinion, it is “too early” to create the commission and said that some of his colleagues are they will join him to vote against.

Trump supporters stormed the Capitol as Congress was holding a joint session to ratify Joe Biden’s victory in the November 3 presidential election. The former president repeatedly rejected the election result, stating that a “fraud” had taken place, although without providing evidence in this regard. The incident left five dead.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

Casa Blanca gives security passes to 25 people who had already been rejected

 New York, .- The White House granted security credentials to 25 people around President Donald Trump whose requests had been rejected by officials previously,...

Documentary by Puerto Rican artist Lucecita Benítez will air on October 20

"Letters of love for an Icona", a documentary based on the artistic career of Lucecita Benítez, known as "La voz nacional de Puerto Rico",...

Apple Leisure Group will land in Europe in 2019 with big plans

Apple Leisure Group (ALG), the provider of vacation packages to Mexico and the largest Caribbean in the United States, will arrive in Europe in...

Shareholders approve the purchase of Fox’s business by Disney

The shareholders of the Walt Disney Group and of the 21st Century Fox today approved the agreement reached between the two companies, according to...

The coalition admits the death of 1,302 civilians in Syria and Iraq since 2014

 Washington, - The international coalition led by the United States that fights jihadism in Syria and Iraq today admitted the death of another five...