The UN expresses its “concern” about the threat of sanctions against the CFI launched by Trump

0
80

The United Nations has expressed its “concern” about the authorization that the President of the United States, Donald Trump, has given this Thursday to sanction members of the International Criminal Court (ICC) who participate in investigations of cases that affect the country or its allies. .

“We have noted with concern the information about the executive order authorizing sanctions against certain people of the International Criminal Court,” Stéphane Dujarric, the spokesman for the UN secretary general, Antonio Guterres, said at the daily press conference. “We will closely follow any news,” he added.

Specifically, it has indicated that the United Nations has also taken note of the statements of the American Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, who has said that the United States will act at all times respecting its obligations as a country that houses the UN headquarters, in New York, according to the Sputnik news agency.

Trump has authorized the imposition of economic sanctions against members of the CFI who are involved in investigations against the United States, with the aim of “protecting the military” and “defending national sovereignty.”

At the bottom of the investigation lies the investigation led by the CFI attorney general, Fatou Bensouda, for the alleged war crimes committed in Afghanistan, including US troops.

“The CFI was created to hold criminal war accounts, but in practice it has led to an ineffective international bureaucracy that attacks and threatens US personnel, as well as that of our partners and allies,” for “political reasons, it has wielded the White House.

The United States also blames The Hague for Bensouda’s opening of a formal investigation last year into alleged war crimes committed on Palestinian territory, putting Israel’s close ally in the spotlight.

Leave a Reply