Guaidó raises 100 million dollars in a gesture of international strength

Opposition leader Juan Guaidó has raised more than 100 million dollars for the Venezuelan crisis since the interim president of the country was declared in January, a gesture that seeks to show strength to the international community.

The figure of more than 100 million dollars was announced today during the World Conference of the Humanitarian Crisis in Venezuela, held at the Washington headquarters of the Organization of American States (OAS) with the participation of experts, diplomats and businessmen from more than 60 countries.

In front of more than a hundred attendees, former Venezuelan mayor David Smolansky said: “We can give the very good news that only in this event have committed more than 100 million dollars of aid to the Venezuelan people, resources that are going to be used only and exclusively for food and medicine. “

Later, in a press conference, Smolansky specified that this amount of 100 million includes funds that had already been announced and others that were revealed today during the meeting on Venezuela.

What is new, he explained, is the half million dollars of assistance announced by Taiwan, the million dollars made public by the Netherlands and 30 million multilateral organizations.

The opposition leader did not disclose which multilateral organizations will contribute the funds because those institutions have requested discretion; but under that denomination could include the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the World Bank (WB) and the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

The IMF and the World Bank are still analyzing whether Guaidó is recognized as president, while IDB president Luis Alberto Moreno expressed his interest in “working” with Guaidó on January 23, when the opposition leader proclaimed himself president. “legitimate” interim of Venezuela.

In those more than 100 million dollars are also included figures that had been previously announced: 40 million dollars from Canada, 20 million from the United States, another 22.6 million from Germany, and finally 8.5 million dollars from UK.

To these amounts are also added funds contributed by the European Union (EU), detailed Smolansky.

Since he was declared president, Guaidó has given priority to the entry of convoys of humanitarian support in the country despite the refusal of the president, Nicolás Maduro, who considers that such assistance hides a plan for a military invasion.
Guaidó has assured that the aid will enter on February 23 with the support of volunteers, the Catholic Church and several NGOs.

In a press conference, the opposition deputy Jose Manuel Olivares reiterated his confidence that the Armed Forces of Venezuela will side with the “people” when dozens of volunteers try to enter Venezuela with food and medicine because those goods are also “for their children who are hungry. “

Olivares did not explain if the opposition has a plan “B” in case the Armed Forces, which are still loyal to Maduro, start shooting at the volunteers.

However, the deputy did not rule out the possibility that supplies reach Venezuelans from the air and, in fact, said that two nations – one in Latin America and one in Europe – will mobilize planes to deliver food to the collection centers of humanitarian aid.

“I can tell you that there are two countries, one from Europe and one from Latin America, ready to send a plane to collection centers,” said Olivares, who did not specify which nations will be responsible for sending that aid.

For its part, the USA It still does not reject the military option for Venezuela and has been the nation in charge of sending most of the food and medicine to three collection centers, one located in the Colombian city of Cúcuta, another in the Brazilian state of Roraima – both border towns with Venezuela- and a third in Curaçao.
The special envoy of President Donald Trump for Venezuela, Elliot Abrams, assured during the summit that “more” will soon come to Venezuela.

The World Conference on the Humanitarian Crisis in Venezuela was held at the OAS headquarters at the initiative of its Secretary General, Luis Almagro, and not the agency, which is composed of 34 active member states (Cuba belongs to the organization but does not participate in this since 1962). (EFEUSA) .-

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

Eleven dead and six wounded leave the shooting in a Pennsylvania synagogue

Eleven dead and six wounded left the shooting that took place today in a synagogue in Pittsburg (Pennsylvania, USA), informed official sources. "There have been...

The singer Aretha Franklin in “very serious” state, according to sources close

The singer Aretha Franklin, 76, is in a "very serious" state and is surrounded by her family, according to sources close to the artist...

Golovkin: “Of course I want a rematch because I’m still the champion”

The Kazakh fighter Gennady Golovkin continued without losing his smile after the nil fight he staged tonight at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas...

Colombians are the most sought after property in South Florida

Colombians have been at the forefront of the list of foreigners looking for real estate and commercial real estate in South Florida for five...

The pandemic adds more than 536,000 new cases and exceeds 47 million infections worldwide

The US breaks a record with more than 88,000 new cases and advances towards 9 million infected The coronavirus pandemic originating in the Chinese city...