The UN Secretary General, António Guterres, demanded today the “immediate release” of the 79 students and two teachers kidnapped on Sunday night to Monday in a school in northwest Cameroon.
“There can be no justification for these crimes against civilians, particularly minors,” said Guterres through his spokesman, Stéphane Dujarric.
The head of the United Nations also called for a peaceful solution to the crisis in northwestern and southwestern regions of Cameroon through dialogue and said the organization is ready to support him.
The kidnapping occurred during the English-speaking crisis in Cameroon – British and French colony until 1960 – which began in 2016, but which since the end of last year has worsened with the appearance of armed separatist groups such as the Ambazonia Defense Forces and for the harsh repression of the Army.
In a video released today, the kidnappers have identified themselves as “Amba Boys” (Boys Amba), members of a separatist group from the State of Ambazonia.
Although the video has not been verified independently, parents of the children have identified their children on social media.
The Cameroonian Government, for its part, has given the green light to a massive search operation, in which the Army also participates, in order to give as soon as possible its whereabouts.