10.6 C
New York
Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Buy now

UnidosUS urges immigrants to renew the ITIN to obtain a tax refund

The Hispanic organization UnidosUS today called on taxpayers to renew this year the Personal Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), which is used by many undocumented immigrants to pay taxes.

UnidosUS, formerly known as the National Council of La Raza (NCLR), said that some ITIN users who plan to file their tax return and request a refund must renew it before December 31st.

“Scarce resources and information, or fears about the political climate tend to discourage members of our community from renewing their ITIN number,” lamented UnidosUS, inviting immigrants to renew it.

Those who must do so are series 70, 71, 72 or 80 (for example: 9XX-70-XXXX), as well as those that have not been used in tax returns in the last three years.

They must renew their ITIN “those taxpayers who did not file a tax return in any of the fiscal years 2014, 2015, or 2016,” explained Yufe Yuqi Wang, an analyst at UnidosUS.

The expert explained that although the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) must send a communication to those who must renew it, there is no need to wait to receive the official news to proceed with the renewal.

Many undocumented immigrants, who lack a Social Security number, use the ITIN to file taxes and receive reimbursements for their minor dependents (CTC).

If the ITIN is not renewed and the tax return is filed, the IRS will receive it as filed, but will not make any disbursement to the beneficiary, Wang explained.

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles