Workforce Development Focus for the Jan. 18 Event
Orange County, FL.– Mayor Teresa Jacobs will host the 2017 Orange County Economic Summit to discuss continued job growth, economic success and workforce development. The event will be held at the Orange County Convention Center on Wednesday, Jan. 18 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
WHAT: Mayor Jacobs will be joined by elected officials, local education experts and distinguished panelists including:
- Sean Snaith, Ph.D., Director of the University of Central Florida Institute for Economic Competitiveness
- Sean Snaith, Ph.D., will present his annual economic update. Snaith is a nationally recognized economist in the field of business and economic forecasting.
- Vernet Lasrado, Ph.D., Assistant Director for Research at the University of Central Florida, will present on “Regional Landscape of Student Completions.”
- Panel discussion on workforce development with:
- Barbara Jenkins, Ph.D., Superintendent of Orange County Public Schools
- Sandy Shugart, Ph.D., President of Valencia College
- Thad Seymour, Jr., Vice Provost for the University of Central Florida Downtown Campus
- Crystal Sircy, Executive Vice President, Orlando Economic Development Commission
Panel will be moderated by Pam Nabors, President/CEO of CareerSource Central Florida.
Following the Economic Summit, Orange County will also host the second annual Florida TechMatch, an invitation-only event that paves the way for local technology companies to build relationships and contracts with national industry leaders.
The 2017 Orange County Economic Summit is made possible with the help of sponsors, including Florida Hospital, Florida High Tech Corridor, Orlando Economic Development Commission, CareerSource Central Florida, Valencia College, Orange Technical College, Orlando Regional Realtor Association, Duke Energy, JP Morgan Chase, Tetra Tech, and University of Central Florida.
WHERE: Orange County Convention Center, North Concourse – Room N320
9400 Universal Blvd.
Orlando, Fla. 32819
WHEN: Wednesday, January 18, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
BACKGROUND: The Mayor’s annual Economic Summit was launched in 2013 following a series of nine economic and job summits designed to examine the area’s varied needs. Those meetings, which were held in 2011 and 2012, focused on key geographic regions and industries such as life sciences, clean technology and international trade.
About Orange County Government: Orange County Government strives to serve its citizens and guests with integrity, honesty, fairness and professionalism. Located in Central Florida, Orange County includes 13 municipalities and is home to world famous theme parks, the nation’s second largest convention center, and a thriving life science research park. Seven elected members make up the Board of County Commissioners including the Mayor who is elected countywide. For more information please visit www.OCFL.net or go to the Orange County Facebook and Twitter pages.