TAMPA, Fla.— Florida gas prices drifted lower last week, as the price of crude took another back step.
Crude oil prices remain the primary driver behind prices at the pump. In October, the price of US crude surged 12%, which raised the cost of producing gasoline. During that time, the state average increased a total of 27 cents per gallon.
So far this month, crude has mostly struggled to maintain strength, logging three consecutive weekly declines. Friday’s settlement of $80.79 per barrel was down 4% ($2.97) from three weeks ago, thus lowering the cost of producing gasoline.
Pump prices averaged $3.27 per gallon on Sunday. The state average declined 1-cent last week, and has declined a total of 4 cents per gallon since the beginning of November.
“Drivers are likely thankful for the reprieve from rising gas prices this month,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “Pump prices have gradually declined this month, and that downward trend should continue this week, unless oil prices rebound.”
Pump prices have backed off from the 2021 high of $3.32 per gallon – recorded in October. Despite the decline, Thanksgiving gas prices should remain well above year-ago levels, as 2.6 million Floridians prepare to take a road trip for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Read this year’s AAA Thanksgiving Travel Forecast.
- Most expensive metro markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($3.44), Fort Lauderdale ($3.33), Sebastian-Vero Beach ($3.32)
- Least expensive metro markets – Punta Gorda ($3.18), Orlando ($3.21), Melbourne-Titusville ($3.21), Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater ($3.22)
Ways to Save on Gasoline
- Combine errands to limit driving time.
- Shop around for the best gas prices in your community.
- Consider paying cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers who pay with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle.
- Drive conservatively. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduces fuel economy.
- Enroll in savings programs. AAA Members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 5 cents per gallon when they fill up at Shell. Click herefor more information.
Find Florida Gas Prices