The Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, which will be held from July 23 to August 8, 2021, will not receive foreign audiences as a measure to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, organizers confirmed this Saturday.
The five parties involved – the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), the Tokyo Organizing Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and the Government of Japan – have held a meeting this Saturday telematics, in which the organizers have communicated it.
“During the meeting, the IOC and the IPC have been informed of the decision of the Japanese parties not to allow foreign spectators to enter Japan for the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, due to the prevailing COVID-19 pandemic.” the statement said, confirming that both the IOC and the IPC have “fully accepted this decision.”
The Tokyo Games already had to be postponed last year from its original location due to the serious consequences of the pandemic; now, the Japanese Meeting for the Coordination of Measures against COVID-19 at the Olympic and Paralympic Games explains that it makes the decision taking into account “the situation of COVID-19 in Japan and abroad, the immigration regulations in force at that time, and current regulations for attending sporting events. “
In this sense, the Japanese authorities have transferred to both the IOC and the IPC the difficulty of entering the country this summer for people from all over the world. “Currently, the COVID-19 situation in Japan and in many other countries around the world is still complicated and new strains have emerged, while international travel remains highly restricted globally. Therefore, based on the current situation of the pandemic, it is very unlikely that the entry into Japan of people from abroad can be guaranteed this summer, “he said.
For this reason, they made the decision to announce the measure in advance, to “offer clarity” to those who have their tickets and who live abroad and who can “adjust their plans.” “The parties on the Japanese side have concluded that they will not be able to enter Japan at the time of the Olympic and Paralympic Games. This conclusion will help to ensure a safe and secure Games for all participants and for the Japanese public,” he said. , remembering that the money of the tickets that have already been paid will be refunded.
Meanwhile, accredited participants who will travel to Japan this summer must follow the indications of the ‘Playbooks’, the travel guides for athletes and teams, the latest version of which will be published “at the end of April”. “We will continue to do our best to hold a safe and secure Games, in the hope that the Tokyo 2020 Games will be a beacon of hope for people around the world,” the statement concluded.
For her part, the president of Tokyo 2020, Hashimoto Seiko, reiterated that the Tokyo Games will be “completely different” from any previous edition. “However, the essence of the Games will remain intact, with athletes giving their best and inspiring the world with their extraordinary performances,” she said.
“Right now, we are working on specific plans to remotely share support from around the world and bring people together in a way appropriate to our times. Even if you can no longer travel to Japan this summer, we hope that keep supporting the Tokyo 2020 Games, “he concluded.