Washington – At least two people were killed and four others were wounded in a shooting on Tuesday at the University of North Carolina (UNC) campus in Charlotte, officials said.
The Charlotte Police indicated on social networks of the arrest of a suspect and said that he had probably acted alone.
“The scene is safe, a person in custody, there is no reason to believe that anyone else is involved,” he said.
Shortly before 18.00 local time (22.00 GMT), the UNC issued a confinement order for shots on campus.
“Run, hide, fight, protect yourself immediately,” the UNC told its university community on a public alert.
Shortly thereafter, the Charlotte Police reported sending an elite SWAT unit to the location where the shots had been reported.
The Medical Emergency Service of Mecklenburg County, whose capital is Charlotte, said they had found two people dead at the scene and another four with injuries, two of them seriously.
The shootings in schools in the United States have become commonplace in recent years.
Last year, two of the worst ones occurred with 17 dead in a high school in Parkland (Florida) on February 14 and three months later, on May 10, ten dead at another high school this time in Santa Fe (Texas).
However, the most serious of these shootings in schools occurred in April 2007 on a campus of Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg (Virginia), when 23-year-old student Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people before committing suicide. .
Until the shootings in a nightclub in Orlando (Florida) with 49 dead in 2016 and a concert in Las Vegas (Nevada) with 58 dead in 2017, the Virginia Tech was the deadliest shooting in the history of the United States. (EFEUSA)