Los Angeles (USA), – Disney +, the service of “streaming” (online broadcast) prepared by Disney, will be available in the United States from November 12 with a price of $ 6.99 per month.
The multimedia company, which in March completed the purchase of 21st Century Fox for 71,300 million dollars, gave on Thursday some details of the service with which it intends to compete with other giants of digital entertainment such as Netflix or Amazon in a conference before investors that was held at its headquarters in Burbank (California, USA).
The price of Disney + in the USA will be lower than Netflix, which in January raised the cost of its basic subscription to $ 8.99 per month.
After its debut in North America, Disney + will begin a process of expansion around the world that will last about two years, still without exact dates confirmed, and that will go through different phases according to the zones.
Thus, Spain and the rest of Western Europe will arrive in the last quarter of 2019 or the first of the following year, while in Latin America it will arrive in autumn 2020.
“Disney + marks a bold step forward in this exciting new era for our company, one in which users will have direct connection to the incredible set of creative content that is the hallmark of The Walt Disney Company,” said the president and CEO of Disney, Bob Iger.
“We are confident that the combination of our unrivaled narrative, beloved brands, iconic sagas and cutting-edge technology will make Disney + stand out in the market,” he added.
This new service will include the catalog of Disney, Pixar, Marvel, “Star Wars” and National Geographic, among others.
One of the highlights was the announcement that all seasons of “The Simpsons”, the most popular series in the history of animation, will be available at Disney + from its first day thanks to the acquisition of 21st Century Fox.
Films from the catalog of this study such as “The Sound of Music” (1965) or “The Princess Bride” (1987) will also be available in this service.
In addition, Disney said that in the first year of Disney + will premiere more than 25 series and 10 new movies.
Thus, the company confirmed that in this digital platform will launch, for example, the series inspired by the adventures of Marvel “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier”, with Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan; and “WandaVision”, starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany.
He also gave the green light, among other projects, to the documentary series “The World According to Jeff Goldblum”, to a film about “Phineas and Ferb”, to a film by Tom McCarthy (“Spotlight”, 2015), and to the short films of “Forky Asks a Question” inspired by a character from the impending “Toy Story 4”.
These projects join other previously revealed as two series on “Star Wars”: “The Mandalorian”, with the Chilean Pedro Pascal; and another one without title on the personage of Cassian Andor, of the hand of Mexican Diego Moon.
Iger, who is responsible for the rebirth of the company, took advantage of the conference with investors to announce that he will leave his responsibilities in 2021 at Disney, when the last extension of his contract ends.
“I have been CEO since October 2005 and as I have said many times, there is a time for everything and 2021 will be the time for me to finally leave,” he said when announcing that Disney is already working on his succession (EFEUSA).