The Trump Administration begins the formal process for leaving the United States from the WHO

0
113

The President of the United States, Donald Trump, has already notified the Secretary General of the United Nations, António Guterres, and the American Congress of the definitive departure from the North American country of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Guterres spokesman, Stéphane Dujarric, has confirmed said notification in a statement issued on Tuesday, where he specified that it was made on Monday and that the departure will not take effect until July 6, 2021.

“The participation of the United States in the WHO was accepted by the World Health Assembly with certain conditions established by the country for its eventual withdrawal” from the organization, Dujarric explained.

These terms, he added, include providing the notice one year in advance and “fully” meeting the payment of your financial obligations. The secretary general “is in the process of verifying with the WHO whether all the conditions for said withdrawal are met,” he concluded.

Previously, Democratic Senator Bob Menendez has assured that Trump has officially communicated to Congress the final departure of the United States from the body.

“Congress has received notification that the Trump Administration has officially withdrawn the United States from WHO in the midst of the pandemic,” said Menendez, who chairs the Senate Foreign Commission, in a message released on his Twitter account. .

For Menendez, describing the response given by the Trump Administration as “chaotic and inconsistent” does not do it justice. Thus, he has regretted that the withdrawal of the country from the organization will not “help protect American lives or benefit the interests of the people.” “It leaves the Americans sick and the United States alone,” he has insisted. Many American states are suffering severe spikes in their coronavirus numbers, and at least 24 of them have paralyzed their reopening processes.

In late May, Trump terminated the relationship between Washington and the WHO, which he has accused of being a “puppet” of China. “We have proposed detailed reforms that must be implemented and with which the organization must commit, but they have refused to act,” said the magnate, who said that the relationship between the parties was thus terminated.

Trump, who has repeatedly criticized the WHO for its response to the coronavirus and accused it of being at the mercy of Beijing, has previously threatened to permanently freeze US funding for the organization.

For Trump, the WHO is “Chinese-centric”. “Fortunately, the WHO recommendations did not convince me when I suspended travel to and from China and saved a large number of lives,” he said on numerous occasions.

“TRUE INSENSITY”
In this context, the president of the House of Representatives of the United States, Nancy Pelosi, has considered that the departure from the country of the WHO is an act of “true folly”.

“The official withdrawal of the President of the United States from the WHO is an act of true folly,” he concluded through his account on the social network Twitter, stressing that the organization “coordinates the global fight against COVID-19.” “With millions of lives at risk, the president is paralyzing the international effort to defeat the virus,” he lamented.

For his part, former Vice President and Presidential candidate Joe Biden has promised that the United States will rejoin WHO if he is elected President. “Americans are safer when the United States is committed to health globally,” he said in a message posted on his Twitter account.

In this sense, he has guaranteed that on his “first day as President of the United States” the country will return to the WHO and “restore its leadership worldwide.”

Leave a Reply